Diaryland is yet again on the fritz again so I am going to post on my back-up, Blogger. Anyway, lots o'stuff happened since my last entry, which was my lament about the terrible result of the election. Trying not to increase my sullen mood, I avoided watching the news, reading my usual polticial blogs, and watching the daily show hence I be reminded that we have another four years of crap, hell, incompetence to look forward to. So what has been going on? Well for one, I was busy like hell (yet again I have no idea if hell is actually busy). I had a synthesis paper that pretty much ate up all my weekend. Quite honestly, it was not one of my better papers. If you watch the special features on the Usual Suspects Special Edition DVD, Gabriel Byrne talks about different directing styles. He says great directors like Bryan Singer (who has directed both X-Men movies and will direct the new Superman) are precise is what they want so they end up taking less time and being precise. There are other directors who shoot the hell out of everything and hope to piece together something coherent in editing. I fall into the later group. When I start off writing my rough draft, I have a general idea about what I want to write about and general ideas about what my points will be. I then just start writing my unstructured arguments, quotes and evidence from my sources, and trying to develop a structure. I then get something done. I then proceed to revise, revise, revise, revise, revise, revise, and revise some more to flesh out points, eliminate redundant ones, create transitions, and clean up my naturally inefficient form of writing. Anyone that has read my blog for any period of time knows that I am not economical in my use of words. So anyway, I started on Friday and wrote one page. Then I on Saturday I wrote about three pages. And then on Sunday, I wrote another page and a half. And then I revised it about a dozen times. First off, the assignment was complete crap. It was a reading synthesis paper which we had to pick a point and find 10 readings from the coursepack that related to that point. First off, this stupid class (501) by the way has been all over the place so it is hard to find even 3 readings that relate to the same topic. So it required stretching some points and make some tenenous connections that will no doubt be picked apart. I should also mention that I took a stance that is completely contary to almost every single reading.
Other big news is that I had an interview with HP yesterday. HP came to campus looking to see if my students in my school were a good fit. So they asked for some resumes and I sent one in. They then selected me for an informational interview. But before I go any further, let me document my day yesterday to see how frickin busy I have been:
8:30 > wake up
9:30 - 12 > work
12 - 1 > HP Presentation
1:30 - 3 > SI682 Group meeting
3 - 3:45 > HP Interview
4 - 5 > SI501 Discussion
5 - 7: 30 > Information Architecture lecture
7:30 - 8 - Checking mail in DIAD lab.
8 - 8:30 - SOCHI schedule advising
I was literally walking dead by the end of yesterday. But getting back to the interview, I am sorry to say that it was only informational, not for any position. So if HP comes by or if I apply for a job with them, I won't be able to skip out on an interview. It does give me a leg up since the recruiters have meet me. I also applied to Booz Allen Hamiliton who were nice enough to send me a rejection letter in the mail. Thanks!
But things don't get much easier for me this week either. I have another paper due this friday. Plus I got my user interface project, info arch project, 501 project, and 504 long paper that I have done didly squat for. Grad school ain't a boat of laughs by a long shot. Sometimes I think MBA school would be easier but then again, I actually want to learn something.
But enough of my crappy school work details, what else is going on? Well this past weekend, I went over with some SI people to chill out and watch Back to the Future. It was sorta a chill thing. Plus most people are busy as hell so unless you're an undergrad or frat person, then partying is kept mostly to a minimum during the really rough periods.
Anyway, I am rambling as I usually do. I am checking out. Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment