Cold Blooded Old Times
by Smog from the High Fidelity soundtrackHello from Chicago! Yup, I am traveling yet again from work. This time it is a short trip to the Windy city for some meetings, working sessions, and a presentation. With the trip to Ann Arbor I did last month, I guess I am doing the "Places Dave went to in 2006 Reunion Tour." This visit to Chicago differs significantly than my previous trip. First off, it is warm (although rainy) rather than windy and freezing like the last time I was here in Feb 2006. A minor trivia note is that I nearly ended up working in Chicago after graduation because I was offered a job by Cap Gemini here. But I ended up going to Google instead, which I have to admit turned out much much better for me. The flight out here was alright. After traveling so much, they seem to become routine. I got my security check-in routine down to an art.
Step 1: Take out laptop
Step 2: Untie shoes
Step 3: Get two bins
Step 4: Laptop in Bin #1
Step 5: shoes, watch, phone, keys, jacket, and belt in bin #2
The only problem with this is that it takes me 5 minutes to put all my crap into my bags and pockets.
In other news, I am still keeping up with my new healthy active lifestyle. So this past week:
Sunday: Weights in the morning, Swimming in the afternoon
Monday: Bootcamp
Tuesday: Bike to/from work
Wednesday: Bootcamp
Thursday: Bootcamp
Friday: Bike to/from work
Saturday: Swimming
Sunday: Weights
So yeah I think I may take tomorrow off but then again, the hotel I am staying in has a exercise room. And it appears that all this exercise and eating right is somewhat paying off. I dropped a pound or two and I swam a 1:13 100 yd last Sunday. I was mighty impressed with myself. I am already starting to look like Daniel Craig...if he was fat and out of shape.
I was thinking of moving when my lease is up at the end of July. However, I have been looking around at Palo Alto and Menlo Park and not finding significantly better places. So I am leaning towards staying in Mt. View another year. Plus with these gas prices, being able to easily bike to work does seem like a pretty good advantage. Oh yeah, I now have a stronger impression of how bad drivers are because of the several misses I have had on my bike. The most common one is the car making the right turn and not checking if they are bikes or pedestrians going across. I know stick out my hand to signal to cars that yes, I am crossing and no, please don't run me over.
Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that George Carlin died this past week. I have embarrassed to admit that I first got introduced to Carlin through his role as Rufus in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. But eventually I saw more of his stand-up. The one thing that I really found hysterical were Carlin's attitudes towards God and particularly, fundamentalist religious people. I would also be remiss if I didn't admit that I cribbed more than one of his lines to explain my spirituality or lack thereof. I remember seeing and hearing about supposedly devout Christians who were nothing but cruel, superficial, and dishonest. And then I watched Carlin and he crystalized my experience so perfectly. So rest in the cold hard ground George Carlin, since you didn't believe in Heaven or hell.
And on that note, see yah all later and peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment