Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Hope, I Think, I Know

Right now I am adding this entry almost soaking wet inside Fishbowl on the UM campus. I got caught in one of the many Ann Arbor thunderstorms that seem to come in without warning. Currently, it is torrentially raining so I am attempting to wait out the storm here in the dry confines of the computer lab. Ironically, it was almost two years ago (given or take a few days) that I came to Ann Arbor to look for housing. After I left my umbrella in the campus inn, I got caught in a flash rain storm and was similiarly got soaked as I am now. Ah memories...

The big news of the day is: Who has two thumbs and recently got offered and accepted a position as a User Experience Researcher at Google? This guy! Yup, either based on my outstanding credentials, qualifications, and attitude or through a massive mistake in their HR department, yours truly will be working at Google. To say that I am excited would be an understatement. I am positively stoked about this. The position is right what I am looking for with a great company plus the added benefit that I get to return to my old hood, the SF bay area. So yeah for me! It has been a long and yeah, tough process. The toughest part or maybe one of the toughest parts since interviewing was no walk in a park, was just waiting and not knowing if I made it to the next stage. I am so glad it is over. So I am heading back in June to look for housing and to attend to other business. I have said it before and I will say it again: Can't stop, won't stop Da Choi! Actually, I have not said that before and I probably won't say it again. My bad.

Actually one thing that is stopping Da Choi is my lack of car. Last Friday night, I came back home and noticed my car's hood was up. I thought somebody had stolen my battery but my housemmate quickly informed me that "my engine caught on fire." So the neighbors called the fire department and they put out the fire with an extinguisher. Below the right headlight, the body got melted and burned. I didn't know how it started seeing that the car was parked and not running at the time. The fireman said it was electrical in nature. Well I did some research (thank you again Google) and found out the alternator in my Maxima was recalled a few years ago. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it was the alternator that caused the fire. So Nissan is covering the cost of the damage. So word to the wise, make sure to check if there are any recalls on your car because you might end up with a car that bursts into flame like I did. However, my car will be at the shop for a while so I am stuck without wheels for the time being.

So what else has been happening? Well on Tuesday, I said farewell to Noor, who has now departed Ann Arbor. We went to La Shish which is a pretty good middle eastern place that offers plenty in terms of portions. So I am now the only member of my 622 group left in Ann Arbor seeing that Noor left, and Amy and Rasika are MIA in India. I also got a flickr pro account and uploaded all the photos I took while I was here in Michigan. Check out my flickr when you get a chance. My flickr will replace my photoblog over at rotten tomatoes because UM will delete my web space where I post my pictures at in August. I did realize that I took a crapload of pictures while here in Michigan.

Anywho, it looks like the storm has let up so I am going to motor on home. Until next time, Peace.

10 comments:

Not Liz said...

Congrats on Google! But wait -- I think SI might need someone to watch the DIAD...

Noor said...

congratulations!

I am a bit jealous, though! :)

Syl said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very happy for you, Da Choi! Make sure your place has a guestroom.

rasiks said...

WOW DC!! this is awesome.... Congrats on your job at google - you are one lucky guy.... you always get the job you interview for! :) Congrats again... very happy for you!

jude said...

Congrats man Dave. Now SI has a foot in the door in Google (at least in their usability depts) ;) You do know that a lot of people are going to be calling you right?

Amy said...

WOW!!!! So, awesome, Rasika and I were rooting for you in India.

And, you will be one of two of your 622 group members in AA until next Friday.

I hear that those Japanese cars are crap.

David said...

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

Noor - don't be jealous of me... I am sure you will far outshine me in the field because of all those future HCI scholars will be citing "Ali-Hasan et. all" when they cite your awesome Fitser paper.

Rasika - For the record, I don't get every job I interview for. To steal something Sylvie did, I sent resumes to 22 companies, had interviews with 10 of them, and got 3 offers.

Jude - Yes that did cross my mind. So I am thinking I should just write something on the SI Career Services Blog, and say, "Read this and stop badgering me!"

Coffee Luv~ said...

COngratulations D. Hope you won't be working TOO hard... come over for bbq (at your place. hehe.)

srah said...

Congratulations on your car fire!

... oh, and the job.

Zahra said...

I'm so proud of you David, you are the best! Finally an SI guy at Google. When do you start? My cousin Elaine works there as well, email me and I'll give you her details. Z