Monday, August 15, 2005

Be Here Now

Hello all and welcome to my new regular blog here at Blogger. As some of you (actually probably none of you) know that Blogger served as my back-up blog at times when my former hosting service, Diaryland, was done. Well I finally decided to switch over for good. So you can reach all the archives of my Diaryland posts in the links section. Also another change is that I naming each of my entries after Oasis songs and albums because

1. Oasis kicks ass
2. Oasis is my favorite band
3. I suck at thinking up titles for my entries.

There might be an issue that I may run out of songs but I will just recycle them. And yes, I stole the idea of naming my entries after songs from that 70's show, which named their episodes after Led Zeppelin songs. Of course they probably stole the idea from someone else. Yes how totally uncreative I am

Right now, I am typing this entry on Caltrain traveling from San Francisco back to Mountain View. There is no WIFI so I will be posting it later this evening. Also I am using my POS KPMG laptop that has a tendency to crash for no reason so I have to reboot several times in the process of composing this entry. The reason I am on Caltrain is that KPMG for my last engagement has assigned me to a company in the city. And given that gas prices have been higher than half the audience at a Phish concert (ah o! Phish reference!), I decided to save some gas and ride Caltrain. And it also gives me time to write blog entries which I have found it is getting harder to do. I found out KPMG lets me expense mileage to and from the client site. So if I did take my car, I would make 30 bucks per day just driving to and fro so I would actually be pocketing cash. So what has been happening with me as of late? Well my internship ends this week. Seeing that I already got an offer my motivation to work has waned to say the least. I am even more half-assing things than usual. I have been going out quite a lot lately. Went to the A’s game last Friday (free tickets hooked via Dow-Jane), went and saw Greg Berharndt (comedian and author of He’s just not into you – no I am no chick lit aficionado, there was an extra ticket ala Vishnu, who proves he is not a man by willfully seeing the show and watching all the DVD season sets of Sex and City in less than one month). He even called me at 11:30 PM from work to ask me he could use my laptop to watch the DVDs when he got home. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I played poker again and got my ass-handed to me by Ida and her poker crew. I used my sweet-ass friends and family discount hook-up ala Camille at BR, and had dinner with the sickness crew (Cheng, DJ, Shannon, Doris, Jessie, Vishnu, Josh, Scott, Ellen, Percy and others) who got sick from eating a bad batch of Hoag Island oysters last year. I missed out on the event due to being in Michigan but they invited me along for the reunion dinner to celebrate getting their money refunded.

Summer is rapidly winding down. I gotta start thinking about school, going back to Michigan, and all that other non-cool summer stuff again. For major reasons to be non-disclosed at this time, I really don’t want to but time marches on, so I gotta face the music sometime. And yes, I deliberately loaded that last sentence with clichés. Like being back in elementary school, I want summer to last forever at this point because I am enjoying life so much. I guess I am in a state of denial at the moment. I know the end is near but I am still acting like I have plenty of time. But when summer ends this year, it is going to much more somber (but not sober) than it has been for many years for me. I guess I am taking the philosophy that I know that the bad time when I have to depart is coming soon so I might as well live it up now as much as I can. No use in trying to minimize it when the bad does come. At least (for any of you in readerland), it will make for some interesting and no-doubt depressingly rant-filled blog entries.

But enough of this downer shit, let’s get to some ranting. First off, I like so many people right now, are truly disgusted with what Bush and his right-wing Republican cronies are doing to Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a solider killed in Iraq who is camping outside Bush’s Crawford ranch. Dude, for all the propaganda from Republicans about how strong and heroic Bush is, he is a totally pussy for not coming out and talking with Sheehan. I mean what the fuck could she possibly do to him? Tear him apart with vicious rhetoric? For all his macho posturing, Bush and the republicans who support him are chickenhawks, who run, hide, and avoid military service, and then slander those who actually do service with distinction like John Kerry and grieving mothers of those who served and died because of their fucked up policies. True leadership involves confronting those who disagree not running away and letting your attack dogs do the barking. But then again, why should we expect anything remotely close to true leadership from Bush who has shown that he consistently ducks fights (National Guard, smearing John McCain and John Kerry) and lets others do it for him

So I guess that is enough for now. My next entry will be a summer wrap-up and reflection which I will blissfully (and no doubt cynically) recount this all too short summer. So until then, peace.

3 comments:

cariberry said...

Hooray! I can comment on your blog! And i found out you updated when I got your RSS feed. This is so much better than your old blog!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having such a great time, but jeez! Don't sound so excited to see all of us back in A2...

David said...

I am excited to see you guys again in Ann Arbor. To give you an idea, my level of excitement is as high as a 503 lecture....