Tuesday, August 04, 2009

How Soon is Now?

by the Smiths from Meat is Murder

Hello to those of you who still follow this blog. Yeah, I know I have been a bad blogger, and not-so-great Twitterer also. I can't believe it is August but then again, I have been reminded in many ways lately that time waits for no one. First off, it is the first week of August and that means it is my blog anniversary is coming up (actually it is August 7th). So it has been nine years that I have been chronicling my ups, downs, opinions, and many rants online. You can see the first five years of blogs back over at diaryland. Now that I think of it, I have been blogging for almost a third of my life which is pretty crazy. I suppose the whole blogging fad has come and past (now its the Twitter and Facebook updates) but I guess I'll keep trudging along with my super long entries, which indeed this one will probably be.

This August also marks the five years since I packed up all my things and drove myself out to Michigan for grad school. Rereading some of my blog before I left CA for MI 5 years ago, it seems I was more eager to go then I remembered. I can't believe it has been five years since I started grad school and three years since I graduated. Looking back on those two years, they all seem like a flash. Leaving for graduate school is also on my mind since Camille is leaving for business school, which means almost none of my friends from Santa Clara are still in the bay area. Walter and Amanda both left also. I used to joke that all my friends starting going to graduate school as soon as I got back from grad school. Now I don't find it that funny seeing that yeah, its hard to see long time friends go but they are doing it to improve their futures. I can't blame them for that.

Earlier in July, CWP$, carlswang, and I went to see Phill and his fiance, Megan at their place in Sactown. I think it is still sinking in that Phill is getting married because I remember playing pickle ball in his background with Cheng and Vishnu. But then I realize that was ten years ago. Other than being unbelievably hot, it was a pleasant visit. What was not so pleasant was that my car's starter died on the way back. Essentially, the short-term fix was hitting it with something hard but I eventually had to get it replaced. Shout out to DJC for giving me a ride. Seeing that my car is 12 years, I am probably going to buy a new car very soon. So my Maxima's days are numbered. I guess I get nostalgic about past times more than others but is just amazing how time passes. I guess I should learn to savor the good times while they last because those moments are fleeting.

But I suppose I should stop talking about the past. What am I going to do about the future. Well, I am not going through any major like getting married or moving away to grad school. In fact I re-upped my lease for another year (they decreased my rent - which is probably the only good thing to come out of this economy). But I have been undertaking some things. I have become pretty much a devotee to the farmers market and eating more healthy. At work, they have this exercise contest for the month of August. So I am participating. I am trying to do a minimum of 25 hours of cardio and 15 hours of weights/resistance training. It should help me fight my everlasting battle with my expanding waist line/better belly. It also help me train for the San Jose Rock n Roll Half Marathon that I signed up to run in October. Yeah I decided to do another event type thing to serve as motivation to stay fit. In addition to buying a new car soon, I also met with a financial adviser to get a handle on how to handle my money going forward. Yeah, almost all through my 20's I pretty much lived paycheck to paycheck so I didn't really think to plan ahead. But now that I have stable career I should pay attention on what I want for the future. So based on my initial consultation, I have a lot to learn.

So as I hurtle forward toward maturity with new plans and actions, there still time for fun. Next next weekend, I am heading up to Tahoe for some hiking and lake fun. And hopefully I can spend some more quality time with the special lady after her finals get done. One thing I am excited about is Erika and Viktor's wedding in September. And right after that, I may be heading off to Japan for work. That would super exciting.

So yeah that's all for now. As much as I treasure the past good times life keeps marching along to its own beat. Here's to more good times and future memories. Peace.

2 comments:

Syl said...

Was wondering where you'd disappeared off to. See you at Erktor's wedding (as Andy called them in an email).

Tami said...

I'll be up in Tahoe next weekend too! drop me a line if you want to get together for a hike or something!