Familiar to Millions
Hopefully this is a quick entry. Work has been pretty busy for the past few weeks. So updating my blog along with a whole lot of stuff has been falling by the waste side. I guess I am falling into a pretty normal routine so therefore my life has gotten noticably less interesting. There is still some semi-interesting stuff but not as nearly as much as when I was in grad school. I suppose it is just natural. Yeah, suppose I joined the millions of other people who do the work grind, rather than the school thing. I guess it didn't dawn on me until recently. Last week, I went to Stanford because I was drafted to represent my group for a recruiting talk. Seeing that so many people from Stanford work at Google, especially in my group, I found it odd that none of them volunteered to go. Then again, I suppose there is really no novelty of going back to your alma mater which is 20 minutes away. Seeing that I was rejected by Stanford (in more ways than one), I suppose it is karmic justice that I end up going there so that Stanford students can suck up to me, which turned out to be very few. It was engineering presentation which meant most hard-core engineers aren't interested in what I do so therefore I was left with only three or four people who were actually interested in what I do. MInd you this is out of the nearly 100 people who showed up.Last last Thursday, I went out to happy hour with some former SCU-OMIS people. Note to self, never let Walter choose a shot for you. He chose 12 year old whiskey which should have been sipped rather than gulped down. I was tasting that for many hours afterward. It was also this night where I got into a little trouble for shooting my mouth off. One my former SCU classmates new squeeze got offended by a crack I made at his profession. I was shooting the shit with this individual, and they said they worked in social work. So me, being my usual self - plus slightly drunk, said "Oh so you actually care about people and making this world a better place rather than actually making money..." Because you know, social workers tend to get paid shit wages. I thought it was a badge of honor for social workers, seeing that so many of them point out to the extraordinary work they do yet along with many other underappreciated professions, get so little recognition and compensation. Apparently, the squeeze got offended because I was implying that he would never make any money in his life. Well sorry. 2nd note to self: Never imply to anyone that their jobs actually improve people's lives and the world instead of being all about money. Geez, some people have no sense of sarcasm (aka edge-less people). When asked of my opinion of this person, I refrained from passing judgement. Which goes to show you that I am not a petty person, unless you think I am being petty for griping about him on my blog.
This past Friday, I went out with Aideen, my cube mate, and her old lab mates who were in town for a conference. I was sorta like the 5th or 10th wheel, seeing that they had all their in-jokes, stories, and gossip about people they already knew. Which I guess goes to show that when you hang out with person who doesn't know all your other friends, you should make a concerted effort to try to keep the conversation not so referential. This Saturday, I went to Oktoberfest in my old stomping grounds of Campbell, with Doris, Cyrus, Nick, and a few others. I must say Oktoberfest must be one of the greatest holidays ever invented. Those Germans got it right. Basically, all you do is go around drinking in public and eating really greasy and not-good for you food. We were walking around downtown Campbell with our beers, plus eating brautwursts, crawlfish, pretzels, and funnel cake. All and all, quite a good plus slightly drunken time for me. Kudos for Nick for the extra water and soda.
Well there are some big events coming up for me. I am planning on going to the much talked about by my friends Rotten Tomatoes halloween party in the city. My friends conveniently started attending it, the Halloween after I left for Michigan. My costume I think is pretty much done. Also, I bought tickets to go to the self-proclaimed greatest fucking band ever....Tenacious D! Should be an awesome concert. I should head off to dreamland soon so later everyone. Have a de-lovely Halloween. Until next time, peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment