Whatever
Wow, I can't believe it is August already. July was a pretty busy month for me. Two weeks ago, I went to Santa Cruz for a beach birthday BBQ. Unfortuantely due to the crappiness of Google Maps, I, along with Nick and Ellen got supremely lost. Turns out the beach we were going to had an entry in Google Maps but lacks an address. So the directions I got were to go to the middle of Santa Cruz. So yeah, just because I work for Google doesn't mean I love all their products (another prime example is Google Reader, which I have yet to find a single person who actually uses as their main RSS reader). Everyone I know uses bloglines instead. Last week, I went shopping for furniture with Jinah, who has much more taste than I and has much more knowledge in the field of interior design than I. So she was really helpful and helped me pick out kick ass furniture. And I skipped over IKEA and went to Crate and Barrel for my furniture. I reasoned that since I want my place to be comfortable and reflect a more mature phase of my life, I would want furniture that is quality. This past Thursday, I met up with Cindy, my former classmate and co-worker at Cisco and Cindy, my former classmate from SCU, for happy hour. That was nice catching up with them. And then went to dinner with Cari and Noor, who were ex-grad school classmates. It was a very ex-classmate type day for me.Also with the advent of August is that I cannot believe I just about completed my four week at Google. Anyway, been quite busy for the past few weeks. Workwise, I conducted my first study and presented my findings. I really agonized over the report because I wanted to make it good. But yeah, I got more and more work on my plate so I am slowly yet surely being assimilated into Google culture. This week was quite fun actually. Our team had an off-site on Tuesday and then the entire UE department went to Angel Island for an offsite. That was really fun. Although you definitely find out how out of shape you are when are attempting to bike uphill and can hardly make 1/8 of a mile. Angel Island is a very scenic place and I would definitely want to go back to hike, rather than bike, and to be in better shape also. Plus it is not every day you see one of your co-workers dressed up like a pirate. Oh yeah, for triva sakes, I was walking up a stair well and then some guy just blows past me on the way down. Turns out it was Sergey Brin.
Now that I am working at Google, I of course take interest in Google related news and other things. So I was catching up on Larry Lessig's blog, when I found a link to 55 Ways to Have Fun with Google. So I tried the first way out, which is Egogoogling. Now many people are familiar with Ego-Searching which is searching for your name on Google or another search engine. For the record, my soon to be deactivated SI website is the ranked #4 for "David Choi." But Egogoogling is typing in your name + is and see what interesting results you get. So I dutifully did so by entering "David Choi is" into Google and see what came out. Here are some general and mildly interesting results:
David Choi is a Sensei within BESCORP and a practitioner of TOC (Theory of Constraints)
David Choi is a songwriter/producer/singer/remixer from the Los Angeles area
David Choi is active in real estate and construction material export to China.
Here are some more interesting results
David Choi is an honourable and also a cautious man.
David Choi is courteous, thorough and patient -- a real pro.
And finally, here are some very interesting results
DAVID CHOI is really uglier than you think he is
DAVID CHOI is really REALLY uglier than you think he is
David Choi is a real life Osama Bin Ladin!
So obviously, none of those statements apply to me. And I assure that none of them do. But here is something that applies to me:
SI students and grads fit in well with Google plans
Guess who gets a shout-out? Yeah, so I guess I fit well with Google's plans. It is good that my ex-graduate program pointed that out to me. Anyway, I better get going because I have a packed weekend ahead of me. Tomorrow I am going to the De Anza Flea Market for the first time in a long time and then taking advantage of the wicked Gap/BR discounts that Camille scored for me. Until next time...peace.
5 comments:
Wait, weren't you the person who was telling me how much more accurate Google Maps is compared to MapQuest? ;)
well google maps is still more accurate than Microsoft Maps, oh wait, there is no Microsoft Maps because it would be so easily hackable and only run in IE!
MS owns Expedia.
BOOYAH!
Oh, and the next time you run into Sergey or Larry, ask them about that plane.
I think MS spun expedia off a while ago. I think they are solo now.
Expedia stock is traded independently (I found the article in Google News).
Can I write an article: SI Grads, What a Bunch of Dorks?
Yeah for new furniture - I'm slowly acquiring some from Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn sales. Because I'm a "townie," according to David.
Post a Comment