Fade Away
I am in the home stretch of the semester before graduation. Less than two weeks of class left. Just going through the motions and finishing up my remaining work before I fade away and graduate from this program. Right now I am in the DIAD, frustrated that my eCommunities paper is not writing itself. Just wanted to provide a quick update on what has been happening. Last weekend, I attended the SI Prom, which was a whole lot of fun. Just as the year before, I did drink a shade too much but I had to make up for the lack of apete who showed at last year's prom why he is Bad Ass Peterson. After the prom, I went over to Tanuka's Aries Party which was just as cool as it was last year. Apparently, the 1st years like the prom so much, they want to have two next year. Yeah, they want to franchise it like CSI. This past week, I went to Bab's to celebrate Cho's birthday. That was also a lot of fun (geez I have been drinking quite a bit these past two weeks) where we finally used their photo booth. Unfortunately, we piled a few too many people in the booth so yours truly's forehead is about as much as you see of me in the pictures. Yesterday was actually a pretty productive day (as compared to today), since Maurice, Cho, and I hung out in the DIAD and powered through some work. We also took a break to smuggle food in from Zaz's into Shapiro. Last night, I attended a party at NotLiz's, where I made a mistake of trying to eat a brownie in one bite like a piece of sushi. NotLiz needs to take a hint from the Raw, and better organize her books to impress partygoers by showing them more varied intellectual, off-beat, cultural, diverse, yet relatable literary interests.So what else is going on? Google called me back and they are flying me out to Mt. View to do my final interview, or should I say, interviews since I will be there for 5 hours. I am staying a few extra days to celebrate my birthday and to catch up with family and friends. As for my current job at SI Career Services, I guess it is partly the reason why I don't blog more often. I had an idea of starting a SI Career Services blog so we could post jobs, events, and job seeking advice so that we wouldn't flood student inboxes with emails like we do now. Unfortunately, students are lazy and probably wouldn't go to the blog (even though it does have RSS enabled) so we ended up still emailing about all that stuff. Right now the content on the blog is just students sharing their job/internship searching stories, which includes my own. Of course any person who has been a regular reader of my blog (all two of you) will already know that since that is pretty much what I talk about on this blog. Well I do get paid to maintain the Career Services blog so in a sense I am one of the few people who actually get paid to blog.
Speaking of blogs, Maurice, Cho, and I were discussing different options for maintaining contact after graduation. Hopefully our class won't turn into one of those high school things when everyone says they are going to keep in touch but as soon as summer hits, you never hear from people ever again. I would still want to keep in touch with my soon to be former classmates, so I proposed a SI alumni blog ring (I believe the previous class before us have a mailing list). Basicially it would be a group blog that would provide links to all the current SI bloggers (so we wouldn't have to do double work and post to two blogs) but also allow non-bloggers a place to post things and an area to post SI-related news and other information. So in sense, it would be a strategy hub according to a former professor of mine (Ironically this same former professor who is doing this work on web strategy hubs and apparently knows the size of the Internet and haggles and annoys visiting social networking scholars does not even have a personal website). Apparently, lots of people liked last year's DFE blog and wanted to have something sorta like the same thing. Of course, the people I hear who liked that blog are decidely non-bloggers who like to mooch content and get their fixes off other people's blogs. We know who you are! Moochers! Cho proposed we hold a summit, where the various classmates we want to keep in touch with (we are excluding plagarizing classmates and classmates who resemble prominent social networking scholars) will discuss various options for keeping in touch after graduation.
I better get back to figuring out how I am going to write this paper. Until next time people. Peace.
6 comments:
how do we keep people from blogging? Because there's some people I'd like not to hear from at all.
This is sort of semi-related to your blog ring idea which I didn't quite understand, but the UM Alumni office has this new social networking site that you're all going to have to join in May if you can't already.
we're all GOING TO HAVE TO? They can't make me!!!
Yes I can or else I won't be your best friend!
Yeah! I told Andy that we should do something along those lines. It would mean fewer blogs to check, as well as a greater chance of finding something each time you check the site.
Yes, you'll be made to. By me. Actually, you don't *have* to, but you are SI students and have certain unending compulsions to join social networking sites.
Post a Comment