Saturday, September 17, 2005

Wonderwall



A week ago today, Jinah, my sister, got married. I would have posted something sooner about it and in fact, I was about to on Tuesday night, but a DIAD computer glitch caused me to lose all my work. Anyway, it was probably one of the most happiest moments in my life (the wedding, not the computer glitch - that fucking sucked). For lack of a better word (to steal a phrase from Erika), it was perfect. I can't really describe the joy, happiness, and just plain beauty of that day. Maybe I am just a lousy writer but no words of mine could adequetely describe it. The ceremony was held in Sonoma and on an absolutely gorgeous day. I was so happy that I couldn't wipe off my super wide goofy grin of my face. I also enthusatically appaulled everything (although that could be partly attributed to alcohol - more on that later) During the ceremony, I almost lost it but managed to keep it together. I was so glad for Jinah and Drew that everything went off beautifully because they truly deserve it. I have mentioned to many of my friends that Jinah is far wiser and smarter than I will ever be, despite how many books, websites, newspapers, magazines I read. She has a way of comforting and breaking down things to me when I am over-reacting to what Jinah so eloquently shows, are trival things. She has that talent that I will probably never master.

As cliche as it sounds, events like these remind you how fast time goes and of course bring back many memories. Of course, I have plenty of fond memories of Jinah and me (including the times she beat me up as a kid, the times I annoyed the hell out of her with my GI Joes, and especially the time she pushed into a pool when I was fully clothed). But last Saturday was probably the happiest memory so far. If I could capture just a tiny bit of the joy and love shared between Jinah and Drew, it would last me a lifetime. Cannot be too stingy with my praise of Drew. I know he is a great guy who, more than anybody else, will make Jinah happy. I am so glad that I got to be a part of such an incredible experience (even if the experience did include me getting drunk off too much wine - that was partly not my fault since they had these huge wine goblets so it was deceiving about how much I was actually drinking. Big shout-out to Jen, for taking care of my drunk ass that night). I know I have sounded pretty sappy so far but rest assured I will be back to my old sarcastic bitter self soon. One cannot sound sappy when talking about your sister's wedding.

Also of note that weekend, I traveled to the South Bay to play ultimate frisbee with Vishnu, Jen, Cheng, Dow-Jane, Nick, Doris, Cari, Carl, and Phill. Unfortunately, it showed that I am majorly out of shape and that I need to start throwing lower passes because I soon discovered Jen nor Cari have three foot vertical leaps. Another highlight of the weekend (nowhere near as high as the wedding), was that I got to see my favorite band, Oasis, live in concert at the Shoreline. Shout-out to Camille for the ticket hook-up. I am a huge Oasis fan (as in I had all their albums until I lost two of their CDs when I lost the CD case they were in - rest assured they will be replaced soon - also each of my blog entries is titled after one of their songs) so getting to see them live in concert was a thrill. The concert kicked ass. Liam was strutting and fronting like a true rock star. Noel was ripping it up on lead guitar. They played lots from their new album but played all the favorites like "Wonderwall" "Don't Look Back in Anger", "Live Forever", and "Champagne Supernova." Cannot wait to see them again.

Normally, I end my entries with a simple "Peace" but since this is an extra special entry, let me end this way.

To Jinah and Drew: I wish you all the joy, happiness, and peace in your new beginning with each other. May all our futures be as bright as yours.

2 comments:

Noor said...

congrats to your sister!

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how different the vibe at various weddings can be. I feel as though I've attended a few too many depressing ones where you just have a bad feeling about the match. It's always refreshing to hear about good ones. Congratulations to your family. Now your only a couple steps away from being "Uncle Dave"...